1-855-275-9378

Archive for Personal Injury News

25 Years Prison for Former Miramonte Elementary School Teacher Mark Berndt

Friday, November 15th, 2013

Berndt Pleads No Contest to 23 Counts of Child Molestation in Los Angeles Superior Court

LOS ANGELES, California (Nov. 15, 2013) – Former Miramonte Elementary School Teacher Mark Berndt, 62, plead no contest to charges that he sexually molested 23 children over a five-year period and was sentenced to 25 years in state prison in a plea deal, according to Los Angeles District Attorney Jackie Lacey.

“Justice prevails for the victims of this former teacher as they are now able to move on with their lives without fear this will happen to anyone else,” said Attorney West Seegmiller, a Los Angeles personal injury attorney.

Superior Court Judge George G. Lomeli announced the sentencing Friday and noted that the plea deal was negotiated in an effort to avoid a trial that would further victimize the school children.

Berndt, a 30-year veteran teacher with the Florence, California elementary school, was convicted of 23 counts of performing a lewd act upon a child under 14 years of age. His victims were described as 22 girls and one boy ages of 7 to 10 years old, the report said.

“A school ought to be one of the safest places in America,” said District Attorney Lacey in a press release. “This plea spares these young victims the anguish of testifying at a trial and sends an unmistakable message to those who would dare take advantage of our children that justice will prevail.”

The conviction comes after an intensive investigation that began in 2010 following the discovery of lewd photographs of Berndt’s victims by a film processing company. The children were photographed in their classroom with blindfolds covering their eyes and duct tape over their mouths.  Police arrested Berndt on Jan. 30, 2013 and has been in custody since the arrest.

–The Seegmiller Law Firm, a Los Angeles personal injury law firm

 

Categories : Personal Injury News
Tags : , Miramonte Elementary School molestations, Miramonte Elementary School Teacher Mark Berndt, Superior Court Judge George G. Lomeli

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA: State Investigators say Summerlin Hospital Wasn’t Taking Proper Precautions when Mother with Tuberculosis Went to NICU/ So Far 26 People Infected with TB

Tuesday, November 5th, 2013

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA (November 05, 2013) – Summerlin Hospital admitted a new mother into the NICU in order to visit her newborn twin baby. The mother was infected with Tuburculosis prior to her NICU visit. Her newborn baby was also infected. Both the mother and baby later died from the disease. Now state investigators are saying that Summerlin hospital did not take the proper precautionary measures when the mother was visiting the NICU.

The mother was known at the time to have been running a fever of 103. She also did not know why she was so sick. A report from the Nevada Beaureau of Health Care Quality and Compliance shows that a doctor was speaking with the parents at the baby’s bedside, even though the mother’s fever was known at the time.

Months later a nurse stated that the infected mother with the fever would have been required to wear a mask and gown as well as her husband, and the report states that it is unclear whether the ill mother and her baby were even wearing a mask and gown at the time.

“Regardless, anyone with even a  common cold or any illness or infection, let alone TB,  usually is not and should not be allowed in such an extremely sensitive area such as a neo-natal intensive care unit,” states attorney West Seegmiller. “I believe this was negligence on the part of Summerlin Hospital.”

(Sources: Associated Press, 8NewsNow.com)

(Copyright 2013, The Seegmiller Law Firm, All Rights Reserved)

 

Tags : 26 people infected with TB at Summerlin NICU, Best NEvada Mal-practice attorneys, car accident lawyers west seegmiller las vegas, Medical Malpractice Lawyers Las VEgas, Nevada malpractice attorneys, Nevada med malpractice lawyers, nevada personal injury lawyers, summerlin hospital, Summerlin NICU tuberculosis outbreak, TB infection, tuburculosis outbreak at Summerlin hospital, , west seegmiller attorneys

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA: Two Serra High School Football Coaches Dressed in Blackface for Halloween Party Offend Many People

Tuesday, October 29th, 2013

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA: (October 29, 2013) – A photo has gone viral that depicts two Serra High School football coaches dressed in blackface at a Halloween party. Witnesses stated that they also saw the two coaches, Harold Seeley and Brian Basteyns wearing the blackface costumes at a game at San Diego State University last Saturday.

“We cannot have coaches leading young students and passing on their racism,” states president of the NAACP’s San Diego chapter. News Crews actually approached the homes of the men involved in order to get their side of the story but neither individual came to the door.

Basteyns recently took the pictures down from their Facebook pages and replaced them with these words: “I am absolutely mind boggled right now. He who is without sin shall cast the first stone. Feeling disappointed.”

Sally Smith’s husband Frederick Schucht was allegedly fired without cause last year from Serra High School.  She filed a complaint against Basteyn when she witnessed him screaming obsceneties at the players during a game. Smith says her complaint was ignored.

10News attempted to contact the school district for comments and more information but spokesman Jack Brandais said he did not have any comments for the media.

(Copyright 2013, The Seegmiller Law Firm, All Rights Reserved).

Sources: http://www.10news.com/news/parents-call-coaches-costumes-offensive-10282013

 

Tags : black face, blackface serra high school football coaches, brian basteyns, frederick schucht, harold seeley, NAACP san diego, san diego state halloween party, serra high school football

Visitors Injured Fleeing Zombies at Halloween Horror Nights and Scary Farms in Southern California

Tuesday, October 22nd, 2013

Guests at Halloween horror nights can suffer serious injuries at amusement parks in Southern California — file photo

Guests at Amusement Parks are Sometimes Seriously Hurt in Trip and Fall Accidents

SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA (October 22, 2013) — This year thousands of Californians will flock to their local amusement parks  to be scared senseless by monsters and zombies at Knotts Scary Farm and Halloween Horror Nights, but one thing they don’t expect to happen is to get injured running away from these horrible creatures.

Indeed these yearly haunted nights are designed to frighten people with zombies popping out from behind doorways and crazed clowns tormenting visitors, however, sometimes visitors are so scared they flee and wind up tripping and falling causing great injuries.  The darkened environment is ripe for a trip and fall accident and cobblestone pathways can be treacherous to visitors who panic. Sometimes a monster will whack someone in the face accidentally, people do break bones in these situations and some are taken away in ambulances from the parks.

So who is liable for a person’s injuries at these amusement parks?

“Unfortunately, in most cases, the visitors to these Halloween horror nights are responsible for their own injuries because they assume the risk of injury when they purchase their tickets to the event,” explains Attorney West Seegmiller, a California personal injury attorney.  “However, there are certainly some situations involving a negligent act or a failure to maintain the premises that could ultimately make the park owners liable for a guest’s injuries.”

First of all, if you suffer an injury at one of these Halloween events you should file an incident report at the park, take photographs of the location where you were hurt if there was anything that contributed to your accident, get names and numbers of any witnesses and seek medical attention immediately. If you are seriously injured and need an ambulance, have a friend do this for you as it will help you if you do have a case.

Finally, ask a local personal injury attorney for a free consultation to see if you have a case and can ultimately hold the park accountable for your losses.

Southern California Halloween Nights

Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios http://www.halloweenhorrornights.com/

Knotts Scary Farm at Knotts Berry Farm https://www.knotts.com/

Mickey’s Halloween Party at Disneyland https://disneyland.disney.go.com/events-tours/disneyland/mickeys-halloween-party/

 

Categories : Personal Injury News
Tags : Amusement park accidents injury attorney California, California Amusement Parks Personal Injury Claims, California personal injury attorney amusement parks, Halloween haunts scary farms accidents injured trip and fall incidents, Halloween Horror Nights Are Ripe for Trip and Fall Accidents, Knotts Scary Farm amusement park accidents and injuries sustained in the park, trip and fall accidents amusement parks California, Universal Studios Halloween Horror Nights accidents liability injured at park

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Fire Damages Barrington Plaza Apartment Building, Injures at Least Ten People Including a Two-Year-Old Girl

Friday, October 18th, 2013

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: (October 18, 2013) – The 11th floor of a West Los Angeles apartment building, the Barrington Plaza Complex” caught fire and left at least ten people injured including a two-year-old girl. (She sustained injuries while she was trapped in a smoke filled stairwell on the 23rd floor and remains in critical condition. She was breathing upon her transfer to UCLA Medical Center).

The complex is 25 stories total and located in the 11700 block of Wilshire Boulevard. At about 11:45 a.m., smoke began to billow out of the 11th floor, according to Los Angeles Fire Department’s Brian Humphrey. After about 45 minutes most of the flames were extinguished. Several people were taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation and respiratory distress injuries. Three fire fighters also sustained injuries and were taken to Grossman Burn Center with non-life threatening injuries.

Apparently the 386 unit apartment building was not legally required to install fire sprinklers due to its 1961 construction, according to LAFD officials. It is unclear who is responsible for the fire and an investigation is on-going.

Sources: Associated Press

(Copyright 2013, The Seegmiller Law Firm, Trial Lawyers, All Rights Reserved).

 

 

Categories : Personal Injury News
Tags : 11700 block of wilshire boulevard, 2-year-old girl injured in Barrington Plaza Fire in Los Angeles, barrington plaza apartment building, Barrington Plaza Complex Fire on 11th floor, Grossman Burn Center, LAFD officials, los angeles best PI lawyers, , los angeles personal injury attorneys, , the seegmiller law firm trial lawyers, UCLA Medical Center,
Next Page »